Worldwide Quilting Day is This Saturday!
Celebrate Worldwide Quilting Day this weekend a variety of ways!
Originally posted on March 14, 2018 by Cheryl Sleboda
There seems to be a holiday for everything these days, but nothing makes us more excited than having a holiday set aside for quilting! Worldwide Quilting Day (also called National Quilting Day) had it’s beginnings in 1991. At the 22nd annual meeting of the National Quilting Association in Lincoln, NE, a resolution was passed to make the third Saturday in March the official National Quilting Day. It’s been celebrated by quilters on that same Saturday ever since and is now known as Worldwide Quilting Day.
Margaret Solomon Gunn’s daughter Sophie has been quilting with her mom.
There are any number of ways to celebrate this holiday, so here are a few to get you started:
- Quilt in public. Nothing gets people more curious than sewing in public, so grab some handwork and take it with you to quilt in a public space. Whether it’s the coffee shop, public park, doctor’s office, or your child’s soccer practice, you’ll be quilting in front of others and hopefully inspiring people to ask you what you are doing. Maybe you will create a new quilter!
- Teach someone to quilt. Quilting has a long tradition, and someone had to take the time to make a tutorial, write a book, or teach a class so we could learn what we know. We can do the same by teaching someone we know how to quilt. Maybe it’s a child, or a neighbor who has always admired your quilts.
- Support your favorite quilt businesses. Quilting businesses, like designers, shops, and magazines, need your business to continue to do what they do. What better way to show your love for your favorite business than to throw a little financial support their way on this holiday. Many of them may even be running a Worldwide Quilting Day special.
- Join a guild or bee. Quilting is lots of fun in a group, and there’s an amazing amount of quilting groups and guilds to join who share your passion. There’s a group for every passion, from art, to traditional to modern, so join a group to see what they offer!
- Try something new! If you have been quilting for a while, Worldwide Quilting Day is the perfect day to try something you have always wanted to do but never had the chance. Maybe it’s a new ruler or gadget, or just a technique you have admired. This is the time to try it out.
All of us here at Machine Quilting Unlimited hope you have a wonderful Worldwide Quilting Day and can’t wait to see what you make!