SUBMISSIONS FOR MACHINE QUILTING UNLIMITED
Machine Quilting Unlimited Magazine (MQU) is focused on the machine quilting process, whether you are using a domestic sewing machine, small frame system or professional longarm machine. Our articles are instructive, informative and enlightening, showcasing the latest products, designs, teachers and quilting celebrities. We continually strive to educate the reader via how-to instruction and detailed product reviews. We also dedicate a portion of the magazine to showcasing award-winning, machine-quilted items, whether quilts, garments or miscellaneous creations and profiling industry leaders and businesses. Published six times per year, MQU is available through subscription and at select quilt shops nationwide. On-sale dates are the first of January, March, May, July, September and November.
Machine Quilting Unlimited Magazine is for the machine-quilting enthusiast. We will cover techniques and fundamentals, whether using a domestic sewing machine, a small frame system, a midarm machine, or a longarm machine. There will also be design inspiration, profiles of your favorite quilting stars, reviews of products, books, and DVDs, ideas for setting up your studio or workroom, help for beginners, and a calendar of quilt shows and events.
Machine Quilting Unlimited Magazine is written and edited to reflect an educational, informative format. Most articles are written by members of the machine quilting community. All submissions must be about machine quilting or related products and topics. Profiles, Interviews, Essays and Business Articles that are related to quilting are acceptable, including humorous, serious, new products, trends and developments, the jury process, shows and conventions, retail, wholesale, etc. First Person or Opinion articles are also accepted and will be identified as such. Submissions must be original. We prefer materials that are previously unpublished. We suggest you send a query before submitting finished articles. New writers are gladly considered, but we require no simultaneous submissions to other publications. Send SASE and/or sufficient postage for return of samples and photos. MQU reserves the right to edit, shorten or modify articles.
Articles are accepted from beginners to professionals. Contact us for requirements regarding photographs and the proper sequence of how-to steps. Please always include photographer credits. Drawings are acceptable where appropriate. Length is determined by subject matter and photos but generally runs 500-2000 words. Please include a resource section with your sources for supplies and special tools, etc. where applicable. Provide company name, website, telephone number and address, if available.
Please send an email query titled, “Article Submission” to: email@example.com
Machine Quilting Unlimited Magazine is looking for machine quilted items to include in our reader’s quilts section called “Noteworthy” – we love to showcase our readers’ talents! Send high resolution, digital photos to firstname.lastname@example.org and your work may be included. If sending photos by regular mail, please note that photos will not be returned. Label the entries clearly with name, address and contact information. If you did not make the quilt or garment, please send the name and contact information of the maker, list pattern used and any other pertinent information. We require written permission from the quiltmaker as well before we can publish. Please also note that by sending your photos, you hereby give permission to Meander Publishing Inc (Machine Quilting Unlimited Magazine) to use the photograph for publishing. You, however, retain all copyrights to your work. DO NOT SEND THE ACTUAL QUILT OR GARMENT UNLESS WE CONTACT YOU. Machine Quilting Unlimited Magazine assumes no responsibility for loss or damage of unsolicited items. Entrants will be notified prior to publication if their entry is selected.
SUBMISSIONS FOR MODERN QUILTS UNLIMITED
Thank you for your interest in submitting designs to Modern Quilts Unlimited. The magazine is a quarterly consumer offering written for quilters of all skill levels. The format is instructional and inspirational and is based on reader preferences. Modern Quilts Unlimited is sold by subscription, in sewing, craft and quilt shops, and on newsstands.
Our submission guidelines are as follows:
- We plan each issue several months prior to issue date. Because of our long lead times, submission queries may not receive an immediate response but will be addressed at the appropriate time. Please be patient. It takes time to review all submissions and occasionally we hold submissions for future issues. We try to reply to submissions within a 60‐day period; if you have not heard from us in that time, please feel free to write a note requesting status.
- We are looking for quilts, accessories, home decoration and other small projects as well as technique articles. Artist profiles, book reviews, product reviews and basic instructions are written by our in-house staff and therefore not open for submission.
- Always submit original ideas and designs. The ideas must be your own, unpublished and not derived from copyrighted work. Note that we do not accept duplicate submissions. Published means in a book, magazine, website, blog and/or photo site (such as Flickr, Pinterest and the like) or sold. If the project is from a class you teach, it can be submitted, but not if it has been kitted and/or the pattern sold.
- No submissions will be accepted that may violate copyright laws. If your project could be perceived by Meander Publishing Inc as a potential copyright violation, we will require that you provide written consent from any party that may have standing with regard to the copyright issue.
- Submit a good, clear photograph of the finished piece, or an Electric Quilt file or clear drawing of your proposed design. For photos, we prefer high-resolution .jpeg digital files no larger than 1MB. If we are interested, we may request to have higher-resolution photos or the finished piece sent to us for review as well. DO NOT send the original work unless requested. Modern Quilts Unlimited and Meander Publishing Inc bear no responsibility for unsolicited projects.
- Include a detailed description of the project, including the finished size. If your quilt has appliqué pieces or requires templates, pattern pieces must fit on a 7 3/8″ x 10″ page for printing.
- Please be sure your pattern has been tested before submitting it. We expect simple, clear, and thorough directions. Please include a list of materials, the finished sizes, seam allowances and assembly diagrams. If you use primarily one fabric line, please note that and have all required publication credits and permissions. We use the United States system of measurements, so patterns must be presented in inches and yards. We reserve the right to edit for grammar, spelling and our magazine’s style, without changing the intent of the pattern.
- You may also submit suggested quilting ideas for your project. Modern Quilts Unlimited reserves the right to offer additional suggestions to the reader.
- The acceptance of a submitted piece for publication in a specific issue does not ensure that the piece will necessarily be published in that issue. Schedule and/or development changes in the magazine may prevent us from publishing every piece selected in a specific issue. Should such a situation occur, we reserve the right to use the project at any time.
- The project may not have been published anywhere else before its appearance in Modern Quilts Unlimited. The project will be returned to you after publication. 90 days after the publication’s on-sale date, the publishing and use rights revert to the designer, however Modern Quilts Unlimited retains universal rights to republish.
- If we publish your project, Modern Quilts Unlimited may request to use it at a future date for promotional purposes, such as for display at a major quilt show or for additional photography.
- We reserve the right to reject any finished project on the basis of poor workmanship, missed deadlines without prior approval, and/or deviation from the original design idea.
- Email your submission queries and photos to email@example.com, or send them via mail to Modern Quilts Unlimited, 1015 N. Edgehill Ct, West Peoria, IL 61604. Include an SASE (self-addressed, stamped envelope) if you want your query materials returned.
Modern Quilts Unlimited Sample Submission
Designer: Diane Rusin Doran
Contact Information: firstname.lastname@example.org
Previous Design Experience or Publications: Column, “Filler Finesse”, Machine Quilting Unlimited
Project Name: Playful Pinwheel
Description: Quick and colorful pieced baby or lap sized quilt.
Skill Level: Easy
Finished Dimensions: 41”x41”
NEW PRODUCTS AND BOOK REVIEWS
We are pleased to review publications and products of interest to our readers. Please send samples or review copies to
Meander Publishing Attn: MQU Product Review PO Box 918 Fort Lupton, CO 80621 800-910-1925
Rates available upon request. Please send an inquiry to email@example.com